Tuesday 28 February 2012

AAR: Old West game at the Warlords


I went down to Dulwich Village earlier this evening and took part in one of the South London Warlord's monday night participation games. It was the first ime I've attended the club and I was very pleased with how friendly the atmosphere and players were, overall I felt very welcome! 

This game was set in the old west and used the Warhammer Historical rules named the same. The basic mechanics come from GW's LOTR SBG and as I played this many years ago I was fairly familiar with the mechanics and it didn't take long to get into the game. There were around 12 players, each with their own warband of either Indians, Lawmen or Desperadoes and each group had their own objectives such as robbing the bank, the train or protecting them. I and another guy were the Indians, a bit of a wild card, and our mission was to steal the women scattered about the map and raid the saloon to steal 'firewater'. As it turned out we completely failed at both of these objectives (but we were so close!).

I took a few pictures but didn't really keep up as I was too busy playing, I'll give you a bit of an overview of what happened:

The Game

This was my Indian warband, 4 Braves with bows, a medicine man, a chief (with rifle), 2 youngbloods and two mounted braves. The train moved throughout the game and my tactic was to shadow it and use it as cover to move up the map towards the saloon and women.


Here you can see the wider situation - The saloon is the white facaded building on the middle right and my main opponents in the games were the two Desperado bands just behind the saloon.


This is a few turns in. The train had moved up and I'd started clambering over it. Luckily no-one was killed despite it still moving. The Brave on the ground rolled 3 1s in a row and so didn't get over the train in the whole game! However, the other injuns were like ninjas (ninjuns?) and leapt over no problem.  You can see my two horsemen on the top left heading off in an encirclement to get the women in the town.


Indian bows proved spectacularly ineffective at taking out the deparado (wearing blue trousers) standing by the station. He later used the nearby old man as a hostage, by moving into base-to base, so I decided to close for the kill and take some scalps.


This is just after I charged him, won the fight and killed him with my horde. Return fire from the two outlaws up the street hiding behind a table failed to do any damage thanks to my medicine mans 'run with the shadows' ability which made all indians within 3" count as being in cover. However an outlaw in the saloon 'fanned' his revolver, rolling 6 dice to hit (needing sixes) and managed to waste a Brave (the one behind the barrel).


Here you can see my Indian ally charging a group of outlaws just up the street in an attempt to seize the two women they were using as hostages against the lawmen. Just out of picture to the bottom left are my indians invading the saloon to take the 'firewater'. A desperate outlaw managed to shoot the one indian I got into the building (whilst aiming through the doorway at another and missing). You can just see my two horseman in the top center hunting down the woman in pink on the top right.


Unfortunately the game ended here, on about turn 5, as due to the huge number of players we ran out of time. The Indians had no victory points but we were one turn away from seizing 3 women and flooding into the saloon, so close!

Further up the huge board a group of outlaws had managed to break into the bank and steal the safe. However, another band had turned on them after their success and a deadly shootout ensued, the other band making off with the stolen safe in a devastating betrayal. The lawmen could do little more than look on and take long range pot shots (including a few rounds at my indian horsemen thundering through the main square).

Overall the game was good fun, a little slow, but thats was due to the number of players. The figures I borrowed were excellently painted by Lawrence, who ran the game, and most of the top quality terrain was his also. The game looked fantastic and the players were easy going and friendly. Next week I have a 10mm Blitzkrieg Commander game lined up so that should be good, I'm considering using Future War Commander for my 15mm so it'll be good to try out the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...